Wednesday, April 19, 2006

No Lode

This was the last week of publication for the Lode until next school year rolls around. I was under the mistaken impression that last week was the penultimate issue of the Lode--goodness how I love that word.

A quick rundown before I curl up in bed with The Fall and Decline of the Roman Empire.

The rape case looks increasingly suspicious. One fellow has a pretty good alibi. Prudence demands we wait until we know everything, but if I was a betting man I'd put my money on hoax.

The rich are getting richer. I fail to see how this is news. The rich are always getting richer. All my life, the tax cuts have gone to the rich, or so the theory goes. It's just money people, and last I checked, money does not buy happiness.

It can buy you a surrogate motherhood though.
This is begging for a legitimate post, but the coffee is wearing off. Since slippery slope arguments are always ignored anyways, I see no reason this one can't wait. For the record, I don't approve; I smell a brave new world, pardon the cliche.

Lastly, Scott McClellan "stepped down". Right. We believe you, Scott. He'll have a book deal in three months, tops. Does anyone really care what this administration does anymore, in the sense of opinions actually changing. If you haven't come to some concensus on Bush by now, you need to crawl out of your cave, turn off the TV and join the rest of us on planet earth.

As previously mentioned, I'm heading to Tech for the weekend to spread the libertarian Catholic gospel. The news is starting to bore me considerably, and there's little like an excursion to the UP to rid the man of worldly nonsense.

Back to the Romans. Now there's a topic that interests me.

4 comments:

troutsky said...

A bard named Greg Brown writes songs about the UP, fishing and canoeing and such. Great trout tradition there, Ill have to try to make it before I die.While there is still a natural world , there is hope.My wife is a Michiganser,solid Saginaw working class roots,Her dad worked for Chevy his whole life, died in the house he was born in.Doubt he ever read a book other than the bible. He loved to come out here and sit on my lawn and look out at the mountains.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

The UP is absolutely goregous, especially from early Spring to late Fall, or as the joke goes, August.

In all seriousness though, it's great country, and most of the people are nice too, even if they don't find midnight kickball nearly as amusing as we college kids do.

I can't imagine being able to read only one book, but if you're going to be stuck with one, the Bible is the one to choose. Seems people used to retain what they read a lot better than they used to. Hillaire Belloc was saying something similiar about farmers of yore; they read fewer books but knew them better.

Back to staring at computer code from my cube. Yes, this weekend is going to be nice.

Anonymous said...

Have you read Augustine's City of God? If you're interested in Rome and Christian then Augustine gives us a look in to Rome that one with a biblical worldview may see parallels to our own times. I enjoy it very much.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

I just picked it up from the secondhand book store. Confessions was difficult for me, but I think I had a poor translation. I'll get around to the City of God in a bit. Should I read Democracy in America first or second?