Sunday, April 30, 2006

Falwell Misses the Mark

WND has a habit of reporting stories that fall under "the sky is falling" category, specifically in relation to the intoleration many in society have for Christianity. One would think that St. John's words that "the reason the world does not know you is that it did not know him" would suffice to demonstrate that the world does not always like Christ, seeing further that they put him to death. Nonetheless, Jerry Falwell seems incensed.

What if I told you that a little kindergarten student had made a poster that included a depiction of Jesus and the school wouldn't allow it to be seen? And then, what if I told you that this had become a legal case that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court?

Would you believe me?

Well, it's true. And I believe this case is a clear indication of just how fanatical the anti-religion zealots in our nation have become.

Let me give you a brief background on this case...

Read it if you wish. It seems utterly ridiculous that Christians insist on complaining that Christ is not welcome in the classroom. Yes, there was a time when he was, but it's preposterous to believe that a society that is devoid of moral values is going to accept prayer and reverence for, or even toleration of, a man they do not believe to be the Son of God. Pull your kids out of the schools and educate them at home. Anything less is irresponsible. For the Christian, when one has children, one has the duty to guard and protect them from the evils of this world, keeping them on the straight and narrow to ensure that one day they can be united with Christ in heaven.

Sending them to public school is akin to sending them into the lion's den and is utterly deplorable behavior if it can possibly be avoided. If the pagans eat their own, so-be-it. We cannot send victims to the slaughter as well. The defense that children can act as witness to the Gospel is idiotic. It takes a long time to understand Christianity well enough to have the courage to defend it. As someone who came closer than it was liked to losing his faith after thirteen years in the Catholic school system, I find this notion naive. Falwell slips headfirst into this naiveté.

Antonio Peck, he said, "is an example of the maxim that one person, no matter the age, can accomplish great things when they stand for a principled cause."

I'm glad to be on the same team as Antonio.

I only hope that after being told that Jesus is not welcome in his school the system does not destroy the individuality he has, rendering him, not only no longer a member of our "team", but nothing more than the automaton our public school's pride themselves in producing.

Good luck to all the Antonio's of the world. My prayers will be with you, as it is obvious that the Christian leadership will not be.

2 comments:

troutsky said...

Its like me and Karl Marx. Every time I would want to read the manifesto to my class they would send me to the corner. But I actually ended up with an education, maybe more so DUE to the imposed censorship.Made me think harder, you know, why dont they want me to know this? Perhaps Antonio will have the same experience.Jesus was a heck of a philosopher and he and Karl are both in the rebel hall of fame.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

School is frustrating to any genuinely independent thinker. I quickly figured out what the system was and either quietly read in the back of the class or diverted the discussion towards the ignored issues.

I want those years back. I've got two more years of the BS known as college, all of which seems to get in the way of my ability to read things on my own and educate myself. Oh well.

I actually just read the Manifesto a month or so ago. I picked it up for about a buck at a second hand book store. I obviously disagree with it, but I do think it's something that everyone should read at some point.