Friday, April 28, 2006

Atlas Shrugs

Ayn Rand is a good author with a bad philosophy. The objectivism she espouses is consistent, if less than just, and offers one alternative to those who would hold a funeral for God. It it interesting that the Russian Rand offers an idealogy as cold, if not as brutal, as the despotic tyrants she fled from and despised. Rand is invaluable at demonstrating A) the folly of wealth redistribution and the absurdity of using the market as a means of compassion and B) the inadequacy of even the most ideal market economy of regulating most humans to being anything more than cogs in the corporate wheel.

Despite my misgivings, it is with excitement that I read a story from Variety.com.

Ayn Rand's most ambitious novel may finally be brought to the bigscreen after years of false starts.

Lionsgate has picked up worldwide distribution rights to "Atlas Shrugged" from Howard and Karen Baldwin ("Ray"), who will produce with John Aglialoro.

When I read the book last summer, I noted--to myself--that it would probably make for a spectacular movie. Its tremendous length might seem to damper the brilliance of such a film, just as Clancy's books have been rendered mediocre in movie form. Still, there is the possibility that Hollywood will do a good job for a change.

As for stars, book provides an ideal role for an actress in lead character Dagny Taggart, so it's not a stretch to assume Rand enthusiast Angelina Jolie's name has been brought up. Brad Pitt, also a fan, is rumored to be among the names suggested for lead male character John Galt.

I think Pitt would make a decent Galt. I'm probably not supposed to be a fan of his since the womenfolk find him attractive and my fondness of his acting ability could be construed as suppressed homosexual tendencies in the Freudian vein. Whatever.

I have no misgivings, however, about the attractiveness of one, Angelina Jolie. I must confess a sort of intellectual crush upon the character of Dagny Taggert, and if Jolie steps in to fill this role, I can only assume I will be rendered catatonic in my state of bliss, which, in this case, is hardly a bad thing.

Now, let's hope that Brad and Angelina stay together long enough, if not due to reference of the sacred Hollywood marriage, at least for the movie's sake. I'll not offer any predictions, but I will hope against hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pitt is an excellent actor. He should have won an oscar at least twice now. First for his role in Twelve Monkees, brilliant. Secondly for his role in Snatch. Again, brilliant acting. I don't know when I've laughed so hard watching a movie. Well, the guys from Scrubs playing air guitars to Boston was the funniest thing there ever was, period. IMHO.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

I heartily agree. Snatch was a phenomenal film.

I've not seen 12 Monkeys, but I'm adding it to my ever growing list of movies to see at some point.

Anonymous said...

You haven't seen 12 Monkeys? You're in for a real treat.