Friday, April 28, 2006

El Presidente: Si to Anthem in English

Talk about a softball question.

When the president was asked at a Rose Garden question-and-answer session whether the anthem should be sung in Spanish, he replied: "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

Bush is a softie on illegal immigration, but even he thinks foreigners should respect the venacular. The reporter asking this question should be mortified at wasting our time, as well as our oxygen. Nothing can be gleaned from this at all, and I canfeel my brain cells playing the lemming. Why on earth is this news, and why am I commenting on it?

2 comments:

troutsky said...

The other day I was singing the National Anthem in french and two men dressed in suites and shiny black shoes approached me. They asked if I had ever been to France ,Cuba, or Russia and whether I would swear allegiance to the flag hooked up to a polygraph.

Bush is playing to the base, his last bastion of support.Ill sing the thing in whatever language I feel like.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Ah, you rebel, you. =)

I'm a big fan of the one people, one language school of thought; heck, I think the Church should go back to Latin masses.

I know he's playing to the base, but this gesture seems so pathetic. The Tancredo/Buchanan types aren't buying this at all. Hillary is still to the right of Bush on the border issue.

Mon Francais, c'est pas terrible. Um, j'aime la pizza. =)