Monday, April 17, 2006

Greed Is Good?

In the probably somewhat inaccurate words of Lewis Black, "I never understood why the French cut off Marie Antoinette's head. Now I f___ing get it!"

Soaring gas prices are squeezing most Americans at the pump, but at least one man isn't complaining.

Last year, Exxon made the biggest profit of any company ever, $36 billion, and its retiring chairman appears to be reaping the benefits.

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

Ayn Rand is stirring in her grave. Even she thinks this might be too greedy. At least Dagny Taggert built a railroad. Heck, at least she built something.

This is also stolen from someone, I want to say Tolstoy, but that's probably inaccurate:
Q: How much money does one man need?
A: Just one more dollar.

A belated Happy Easter to you all. In the reading department, I've bit off more than I can chew as of late. I'm hoping to finish three of the books by Thursday. Friday morning I'll be making the trek back to Houghton to say goodbye to some good friends, but I'll try to squeeze in a post or two before then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The former nubmer 2 guy from Exxon (he retired very recently) is the chairman of my school's board of trustees, and we have money problems.