Sunday, May 21, 2006

People Like Bad Movies

I'm almost shocked. It turns out that that American people turned out in hordes to see The Da Vinci Code, despite dismal reviews from the critics. The movie earned 77 million on opening weekend. Personally, I don't see how this can be accurate seeing how the weekend isn't over yet, but what do I know.

As an aside, I can't seem to figure out if critics in general, and movie critics in particular are completely, or only partially useless. Generally speaking, people don't see good films, opting instead for mediocre thrillers or bland, sexual comedies with shallow characters. Explosions are good, too.

On the one hand, the critics might actually know what they are talking about, but since the masses are on an altogether different level, the elitist commentary which makes up a typical review often only comes across as smug. C'est la vie.

I think I'll wind down tonigh with On The Waterfront. I can't remember if the critics liked it or not. It's no Da Vinci Code, that's for sure.

No comments: