Monday, August 28, 2006

Environmentalism, Pope-Style

I'm back in Houghton. Here's a quick little bit to prove, in case one was liable to doubt, that I am, in point of fact, quite alive. From the Pope:

The world "is exposed to a series of risks created by choices and lifestyles that can degrade it," the leader of the Roman Catholic Church said in his Sunday sermon given at his summer residence of Castel Gandolfo, south of Rome.

"Damage to the environment makes the life of the poor on Earth particularly unbearable," the pope said, calling on all Christians to take care of the earth and not deplete its resources, sharing them in solidarity.

I've never been mistaken for an environmentalist, as I am reluctant to accept the teachings of those who believe 1) that what happens to a couple of caribou is more important than human beings and 2) that humans are so wonderful--or awful--that we have the power to destroy the planet. Both premises are false.

Yet the Pope provides an intriguing environmentalist stance herein. The earth exists for human beings, but we are to use it for the benefit of humanity. We cannot simply rape and pillage the earth, but not because the earth is out mother--it is not, though it is the creation of our Father. Instead we are remiss in abusing the earth only when we do so at the expense of our fellow man.

An interesting indictment. One that I cannot yet formulate a response to. That Pope sure makes a fellow think.

3 comments:

troutsky said...

You are right that we cannot destroy the planet ,just all the known life forms on it. Of course ,new ones would probably evolve eventually and they might be smarter.Does the Pope drive a hybrid? If the CEO of General Motors is a catholic, can the Pope make him support the Kyoto protocol?

troutsky said...

One other thing, way off subject.I just saw where the Vice Pope or Deputy Pope, something, is doing exorcisms on bin Laden and other evil people. I would be curious to hear your opinion on this.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Most Catholics don't listen to the Pope, but it's worth a shot.

The Pope doesn't drive a hybrid, he drives a Pope-mobile. For some reason his "hypocrist" on this one doesn't bother me as much as with, say, Al Gore and the like.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the deputy Pope. If you provide me with a link, I'll do my best to respond.