Wednesday, July 12, 2006

More Paradoxes?

It's true.

I have two more examples of paradox to add to my talk. Unfortunately, it is now late and my reading far from complete. Thank goodness for coffee and morning meetings. Nevertheless, here are the two topics, listed as much for myself--so that I do not forget--as for the readers of this here blog, as a sort of coming attraction.

1) The Church's stance on war, commonly referred to "The Just War Doctrine".

2) The Catholic position of being an optimist and a pessimist: loving this life enough to desire change it, yet realizing that the world is not our home, nor will it ever be.

I know I've left you tantalizing in anticipation. Don't lie and tell me otherwise.

EDIT: Irrefutable proof that I should sleep more and blog less: usage of the phrase "tantalizing in anticipation". I don't know what that means exactly, but your best guess is probably right.

2 comments:

troutsky said...

It's a nice verb, tantalizing. I appreciate the necessity of your mission of paradox pointing. People need to be confronted with tensions and contradictions.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

I'm not great at talking in front of a large group, which is weird, because so long as I am unaware that the focus is on me, I have no trouble with chatting away. Yet I'm still looking forward to giving this talk because I think paradox is immensely important.

Once aware of paradox, one may find one's worldview completely changed.