Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fascist Feminists

I headed over to Pandagon, which is one of the more hysterical feminist blogs. I have an aversion to feminist "thought" because it is so blatantly inconsistent. I much prefer the feminism of Camille Paglia; I don't agree with her either, but she offers a vision which isn't rife with contradictions. Paglia knows her history, and is a genuine pleasure to read; Amanda from Pandagon, on the other hand, couldn't think her way out of a wet paper bag.

In the meantime, I need to correct for a rather sweeping generalization I made about how the left isn't harboring racists of our own. I should have known better than to be so simple about it; god knows I’ve seen enough liberals making racist and sexist and homophobic jokes that one can’t just dismiss it out of hand. Nonetheless, I think my basic point stands. If you are an honest-to-god hateful racist who uses politics as a way to beat up on other people for being different, you know what political party is yours—the Republicans. If you’re firmly committed to eradicating prejudice, you’re going to be pulling the lever for the Democrats. Conservative criticisms of racism and sexism are disingenous 99.9% of the time—if you find a right winger complaining about racism or sexism, generally speaking you don’t have to dig far to find that they have ulterior motives, generally to shut up their opponents. Echidne wrote the classic post on this subject when she pointed out that Ann Althouse seemed to think that feminists only exist to police the ranks of the left for sexist jokes, even though Althouse is perfectly happy to support right wingers who openly advocate for oppressing women and stripping us of our rights.

Being an irrascable chap with a penchant for diving headlong into debates, I posted a comment following her post. Being an open-minded feminist, she refused to allow my comment to be posted. Lest the reader think I resorted to cheap ad hominen attacks, I will provide the comment, which was too incendiary--or perhaps simply too rational--for the Pandagon crowd.

You fail to define racism, and your excellent observation that you have made a "rather sweeping generalization" does not prevent you from making another, just as egregious: "Conservative criticisms of racism and sexism are disingenous 99.9% of the time—if you find a right winger complaining about racism or sexism, generally speaking you don’t have to dig far to find that they have ulterior motives, generally to shut up their opponents."

I'm certain you can find evidence of a sophomoric jab from an intellectual dwarf of the token right, but this does not prove the validity of your generalization. I am not certain that proof exists, but a few points on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the democratic party supports affirmative action. In my mind, this policy is racist. If blacks and whites are truly equal, as I believe, neither side should receive an artificial boost so as to help them compete. Demanding that blacks meet a lower standard than whites do is condescending and demeaning. If your readers allowed you to make gratuitous grammatical mistakes and consistently masquerade fallacies as facts because you were a woman, you would be quick, I think, to point out that they were sexist, and rightfully so. It is my contention that the support of affirmative action is likewise racist, leaving your point about the nobility of democrats in regards to race relations, rather a debatable one.


Is it any wonder people have a hard time taking feminists seriously? Though she insists on being treated as equal to men, she cannot answer a simple and straightforward question; nor does she see fit to allow her like-minded minions to rise to the occasion. Surely they could combine their massive brain power to formulate a semi-coherent response.

(As an aside, I have no qualms with treating men and women as equals; they are; however, I believe they are different, and as such, reverence should be paid to the weaker, fairer sex. )

Instead, Amanda prefers that I remain silent. Beware of those who refuse to answer questions about their idealogy. Stuck in a mind rut, many feminists, like our paragon of brilliance, prefer to ignore any possible evidence that they could, in fact, be wrong.

Feminists make me laugh.

1 comment:

Difster said...

The sad fact is, it's not even just women over there. I got banned by the guy (not a man) Chris.

Excellent retort though!