Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Have you heard of Harry?

My blogging had fallen a bit by the wayside as of late. I've noticed that my interest in writing about current events goes in cycles. Sometimes, I'd rather read history books than spit out a couple of paragraphs on a topic I've discussed before. There is, after all, a limit to the number of Ron Paul posts my readers will stomach.

I've also spent more time working on my columns. I don't know if the quality has increased; I like to think that it has, but I'm not exactly an unbiased observer. Anyway, that's another reason for the limited output. I only have a few weeks of school left. When I no longer have weekly columns to write, my output will probably change. Until then, you get more apologies per post than ever before.

On point, I get regular emails from Amazon recommending me books based on purchases I have made. Most of the recommendations are helpful, if less than insightful. A paraphrased example: you like G. K. Chesterton, have you also read this book written by him?

But sometimes the email makes me chuckle for the inanity of the recommendation. For instance:

We recommend: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling ...

Recommended because you purchased or rated:
* The Divine Comedy

What on earth does Dante have to do with Dumbledore? I read the first Harry Potter book, found it mildly amusing--way better than that stupid Golden Compass book they've made a movie about--but decided to skip the rest of the series for better things--like The Divine Comedy.

Does Amazon really need to sell more copies of the Harry Potter series? I'm fairly certain that everyone who is going to read the series has heard about it. Still, I found it amusing.

No comments: