Saturday, December 09, 2006

Nominate The Diversity

and watch the democrats wiggle...

Zalmay Khalilzad, who was announced this week as leaving as U.S. ambassador to Iraq, is the leading prospect to replace John Bolton as envoy to the United Nations.

President Bush was reported by aides as looking for someone who approximates Bolton's combination of toughness and diplomatic skill and has tentatively decided on Khalilzad. A native of Afghanistan, he has served in government posts dating back to 1985 and is the highest-ranking Muslim in the Bush administration.

I can't say I'm terribly happy to see Bolton go; he just never irked me as much as many of Bush's other appointments. If we insist on remaining a part of the UN, our ambassador thereto should have our interests in mind. My objection is to Bush's policy, which is inimical to our own well-being, but I would never fault him for finding someone to promulgate that policy to that hallowd hall of international stooges.

If Bush does nominate this Muslim chap, and assuming he's similar in type to John Bolton, it will be fascinating to watch the democrats turn him out without appearing as intolerant racists or some such twaddle. Personally, I don't care about the diversity inherent in his nature, at least as we measure such in this strange country of ours; if he is turned out it should be due to his attributes, or lack thereof. I only note that the liberals in the Senate may become squeamish shortly, as they are hit, again, with the full weight of their own bankrupt principles.

Also, assuming this goes through, what are the odds Bush gets credit for nominating the first Muslim--I'm assuming--to hold this position? I'm guessing slim to none.

4 comments:

troutsky said...

The lack of serious weight given to the UN is entirely the fault of conservatives who will never allow the US to sit as equal parties in any setting. I blame conservatives in general for this whole absurd construction of "PC",something they created as a bludgeon to obscure their racist tendencies and beat the concepts of multi-culturalism, plurality, diversity and affirmitive action into the ground with.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Easy with the r-bomb. As a superpower, albeit a dying one, I believe that America should do what is in its own best interests; if the UN doesn't want to play along, they can go jump in a lake.

Since I'm also an isolationist, I don't see how this is problematic, let alone "racist".

troutsky said...

Doing what is in our own best(short term) interests is exactly what got us into this global mess.Blowback from taking,taking, taking.The long view would include more giving.(opportunity, not cash)

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Respectfully of course, I disagree.

The War in Iraq only appeared to be a good idea in the short term; in reality it was a terrible idea, in the now and in the future. It may turn out to be the last act of a once proud superpower. Henceforth, can we even call ourselves that?