Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Brief Paglian Diversion

Camille Paglia from Vamps and Tramps:

My disaffection with American Catholicism, which began during my adolescence in the late Fifties, was due partly to its strident anti-sex rhetoric and partly to its increasing self-Protestantization and suppression of its ethnic roots. Within twenty years, Catholic churches looked like airline terminals--no statues, no stained-glass windows, no shadows or mystery or grandeur. No Latin, no litanies, no goregous jeweled-garments, no candles--so that the ordinary American church now smells like baby powder. Nothing is left to appeal to the senses. The artistic education of the eye that I received as a child in church is denied to today's young Catholics.

Her disagreement with the Church's teaching on sex is fundamental, and requires a greater mind than my own to discuss, though were I given the opportunity, I would recommend to Miss Paglia the late Pope's talks on the Thelogy of the Body.

That said, I cannot agree with her more about the second reason for her disenchancement with American Catholicism. Bring back the Latin! Bring back the candles, the stained-glass
the statues!

There is little that bothers me more than a boring church--perhaps heresy from the pulpit. I do not know if anyone really enjoys the sterility of the modern churches, but I know I am not alone in clamoring for more traditional churches. People still spend hours in the churches of Europe--though seldom to worship, and less frequently are the worshippers Europeans--for good reason.

No one is going to want to visit a mega-church in fifty years, let alone five hundred. I hope God burns every one of the monstrosities when he returns. It's not as if any of them spend a lick of time talking about his Son's death and ressurection anyway.

It's back to Wise Blood for me, in which Hazel Moates founds the "Church Without Christ". Someone should have told wayward Christians that Flannery O'Connor intended sarcasm, not a plan for action.

2 comments:

troutsky said...

Great post,hits me where it hurts.I spent four years in my long lost youth meandering through Europe with hundreds of hours logged in those magnificent cathedrals.I found a certain, majestic, aspect spiritually profound, not unlike the incredible wilderness canyons I hike around in now.The question is, is this religion? Or Spectacle?I am no closer to your vision of God despite all those hours spent gawking in the eerie, candle and stained glass lit interiors.Yet, it affected me in a very introspective way. I used to wake up early in Rome and dash through the Vatican museum so I could be alone , sometimes for an hour or more, in the Sistine Chapel.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

I am no closer to your vision of God despite all those hours spent gawking in the eerie, candle and stained glass lit interiors.

I wouldn't be so sure. Grace is a terribly funny thing, and is bestowed on all kinds of people at all kinds of times.

I don't know that beautiful paintings and breathe-taking architecture lead people to Christ, but it sure can't hurt. The Lord works in mysterious ways.