Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Alarmingly Disinterested

For those of you who do not know, I live off campus in Houghton, home of Michigan Technological University where I attend school. I also work for the college radio station and had to record the news this afternoon. The station is located in one of the dormitories. While there, a fire alarm went off. I begrudgingly left the building, a bit later than I was should have. As I walked out, I noticed that I was not the only one who decided to lackadaisically exit the building.

Our school, much like many others, has gone safety mad. I am not sure that is a legitimate expression, but it is the best way of summing up the university's behavior. The idea behind fire drills was to ensure that people knew how to get out of a building safely, which is a fine thing. Unfortunately, because the school has so many fire drills, no one takes them seriously any more. Call it the law of diminishing returns or the boy who cried wolf, the result is the same: a waning attention to something that should be treated as important.

Whether this is a sign of human beings in general or simply an expression of cultural A.D.D., the example applies in many instances. I could take this any of a thousand directions, but I'll use it to discuss the Iraq War as part of our "war on terror".

As someone who is a bit of a news junky, it is interesting to observe the apathy I've had towards world happenings as of late. This is especially true in regards to whatever may be going on in Iraq. I would simply like the troops should home and the job done as soon as possible. It remains to be seen whether or not that is an attainable goal, but ideally, we'd all like mission accomplished--for real this time--and our soldiers safe in this still great country of ours.

It is fair to say that I do not have a monopoly on unconcern for specifics on the Iraq war. There are two reasons for this. The war has gone on long enough that every reasonable person has come to a conclusion over whether or not we should have invaded, and those that have not may be undecided until we really have defeated terror.

The other reason is what was alluded to earlier. It is a simple fact that one's attention to a topic fades over time. This is especially true in the saturated media environment we live in. Those unfortunate souls who spend a significant portion of time in front of the television daily aren't going to have the ability to sit through the speech explaining why we went to war, let alone determine the legitimacy of such a claim.

Poor Cindy Sheehan seems to be going crazy trying to get people to pay attention. I cannot say that I like the woman, for though I am saddened that her son died in this war, she seems to be a slimy opportunist. Regardless, her antics will probably be largely ignored, especially since all the new shows started this fall.

"I'm going to go to Washington, D.C. and I'm going to give a speech at the White House, and after I do, I'm going to tie myself to the fence and refuse to leave until they agree to bring our troops home," Sheehan said in a telephone interview last week as the milestone approached.

"And I'll probably get arrested, and when I get out, I'll go back and do the same thing," she said.

Good luck to her. There is no way Bush is going to listen. But the American people have other things to worry about.

We're tired Cindy. Sure, almost two thousand U.S. soldiers have died since we tried to liberate Iraq, but seriously, can't she see that we have more important things to worry about?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raider, you are one hell of a writer. I just thought I'd tell you that.

-Chris Schanz-

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Thank you sir. It is something I enjoy doing and the fact that others gain something from it is a very large bonus.

troutsky said...

You are on the verge of understanding how capitalism undermines democracy. To busy to pay attention is symtom #1. Franken brings a little humor to an arena that could use it but far more important, he doe shis homework and his criticism is quite valid.Unfortunately he still believes in the democrats and I,like you, believe them to provide few answers.Your characterization of Sheehan needs evidence, can you prove her motives are less than altruistic. Wrong is one thing ,slimy another. Also, your "wanting" the soldiers home will not make it happen, take a moral stand and act on it.They and the Iraqis are humans who are being killed, it doesnt get more serious than that.At least Sheehan has that courage.

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Hmmm.

Well, in regards to Sheehan, I am skeptical of anyone who milks the media for attention. Slimy is perhaps a bit strong, and it is notable that without her, we would have no one mentioning a thing about the war.

Sheehan has the courage to take a stand, but it doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of good. And while my "wanting" the troops to come home doesn't do a whole lot, there seems to be no viable alternative. Call me a pitiful defeatist whiner if you will--not that I am saying you would--but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot for me to do, save writing these things and waiting to throw my vote away on third parties again.