Monday, July 04, 2005

Hollywood

Hollywood just doesn't get it. Despite The War of the Worlds, Hollywood is in the midst of a nineteen week slump. There are reasons for this, which I will now lay out.

First, ticket prices are outrageous. It costs me $8.50 to go see a mediocre movie with bad acting, poor dialogue, and no originality. Prices are higher in some markets, lower in others, but the point is, Americans have decided--at least for the past five months--that it's just not worth it anymore.

And don't even get me started on concessions. I haven't bought something at a movie in so long, the high prices have almost escaped me. For the not-so-tight-fisted-American, blowing fifteen bucks on a movie and some munchies has become a bad bargain.

Second, as pointed to earlier, the quality in Hollywood is just plain lacking. I went to see two movies of my own volition this summer. I allowed myself to be dragged to another one because it cost a buck, and even I'm not so cheap that I could say no. I went and saw and Revenge of the Sith and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No other movie honestly interested me.

Revenge was absolutely dull. Lucas cannot write a script. I can quote huge fragments of the origianl trilogy, but if I ever have to sit through any of the new ones again, I think I'll scream. Hitchiker's was pretty good, but one decent flick in two months is not going to cut it.

I realize I may be complaining unneccesarily. I am but one soul, and in truth, I've never liked to go to the movies. The older flicks are simply much better. Still, the numbers don't lie, and America, may, for once, agree with me.

Tell a good story and people will come. Sex and special effects get old oh so fast.

Lastly, Hollywood's elites need to shut up, to put it nicely. Yes, a majority of Americans no longer support this war, but bashing it at every turn is last Tuesday. Actors are entertainers, and they should act--and be treated--as such. Baseball and football are not watched by armchair presidents trying to to get commentary on U.S. foreign policy, they are watched by armchair quarterbacks who want to out in their two cents on what the team should have called on third and short. The masses wish to be entertained.

I can handle an anti-war message from Anti-Flag; they're a pop punk band who has made anti imperialist policy a staple. Likewise, Michael Moore's message may bother me, but I can handle one of his propoganda films telling we where we've gone wrong. Part of the entertainment of both ententies is their politics. I get this.

What I don't get is why some actor or actress's opinion is worth two farlings. If they wish to make a statement, make a movie. That's what Moore does. If Bruce Springsteen doesn't think we should be in this war, he can write a song about it. I can live with that.

The American people is, hopefully, sick of being lectured to by entertainers. If they could actually do their job in the first place, we might give them the benefit of the doubt. Until they learn to keep quiet and just deliver, Americans may just stay at home.That's what I plan on doing.

Happy 4th of July to all my fellow Americans, movie-going and otherwise.

No comments: