Saturday, July 02, 2005

Bush's Brain in Trouble?

This story may turn out to be wrong, and it's even expressed in such a way that it's more of a "could be" than an "it is". It appears Karl Rove could be in a bit of a, shall we say, quagmire?

"Today, O'Donnell went further, writing a brief entry at the Huffington Post blog:

"I revealed in yesterday's taping of the McLaughlin Group that Time magazine's e-mails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months but didn't want to say it at a time that would risk me getting dragged into the grand jury. "

Here's the Huffington Post story, which is basically all in the MSNBC piece.

I haven't been following this Matt Cooper story all that closely. Seems to me that "freedom of the press" should mean freedom of the press, but then again, I'm a strict constructionalist.

"
Other panelists then joined in discussing whether, if true, this would suggest a perjury rap for Rove, if he told the grand jury he did not leak to Cooper. "

So in other words, old Rove could be in hot stew. There hasn't been a lot that's inciteful about all this, so I'll try to impress some of my wit here at the end.

"
"McLaughlin is seen in some markets on Friday night, so some websites have picked it up, including Drudge, but I don't expect it to have much impact because McLaughlin is not considered a news show and it will be pre-empted in the big markets on Sunday because of tennis."

Can we finally lay off Drudge? Yes he's conservative, but that doesn't prevent him from doing a pretty good job reporting the news. I went over to FoxNews but didn't find the story anywhere. That doesn't surprise me, since they seem to be pretty big Karl Rove fans. That being said, I am not surprised by Drudges' reaction either.

News is news whether a Republican or Democrat is involved. Drudge knows that. So can we just leave him well enough alone?


As an aside: thank goodness someone finally stepped down from the Supreme Court. Now we can all get ready for the mud-slinging partisanship our politicians are so good at.

I think I've got an idea. Supreme Court Confirmation drinking game. Every time the Dems call the nominee an "extremist", or some variation thereof, take a shot. You'd be drunker than Ted Kennedy in no time.

No comments: