Monday, April 14, 2008

Ratio et Fides

I finally got around to acquiring a copy of Pope Benedict's book, Jesus of Nazareth. Naturally, it gets my recommendation. I thought I'd quote a brief passage which may be relevant to the little debate a friend and I are in the midst of--and which I hope we shall continue shortly--which started with my attempt to defend "logic" and faith:

"The world is now seen as something rational: It emerges from eternal reason, and this creative reason is the only true power over the world and in the world. Faith in the one God is the only thing that liberates the world and makes it "rational". When faith is absent, the world only appears to be more rational. In reality the indeterminable powers of chance now claim their due; "chaos theory" takes its place alongside man with obscurities that he cannot resolve and that set limits to the world's rationality. To "exorcise" the world--to establish it in the light of ratio (reason) that comes from eternal creative reason and its saving goodness and refers back to it--that is a permanent, central task of the messengers of Jesus Christ." - p.174

No comments: