Saturday, May 26, 2007

Churchill Speaks

While reading an abridged version of The Last Lion's memoirs, I noticed this:

Their [the American's] national psychology is such that the bigger the Idea the more wholeheartedly and obstinately do they throw themselves into making it a success. It is an admirable characteristic, provided the Idea is good.

It is always fascinating to study foreigner's observations of one's native land. De Tocqueville is obviously the piece de resistance in regards to Americans, but Churchill makes a good point here. I'll allow the reader to furnish the specific Idea for himself.

When I finally finish these memoirs I'm thinking of taking up Paul Johnson's A History of the American People. Should I do so I will attempt to highlight some of the more luminous passages.
But now it's back to Burma.

No comments: