Tuesday, February 21, 2006

An Open Letter to Arianna Huffington

Dear Arianna Huffington,

I am a conservative, but I did not vote for Bush. Instead I "threw away" my vote on the Libertarian candidate, Michael Badnarick. Truthfully, my political opinions are most akin to Pat Buchanan.

Since neither major party supports more than half of my ideas, I tend to look to both sides of the aisle, in hope that someone will save this country from the current "conservative" leadership. Thus I occasionally journey over to the Huffingtonpost. Although I rarely agree with many of your bloggers, there are bits of wisdom and the posts are sometimes enjoyable.

Recently, perhaps in the last couple of weeks, pharmicists have caught your bloggers fire for refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control and the like. Being an orthodox Catholic, I can understand the pharmicists position. Yet your bloggers have given no slack. Apparently, though we pro-lifers are to lay off when it comes to others fetuses--which we view as unborn children--the same does not hold when applied to us. Evidently we do not have a choice to withhold prescriptions, even though we believe granting them is immoral.

I noticed that you have posted a story today on your site which I believe provides an interesting parallel. The headline reads "Calif. Execution Faces Indefinite Delay" . The fascinating thing is that due to the moral principles of the anesthesiologists which prompted a delay. Now, I don't have a problem with moral objections to work related activities--so long as they do not occur all the time--but your bloggers do.

I hope I can expect a follow up post either clarifying what I believe to be a double standard or apologizing for letting personal bias get in the way of principle.

Thanks for your time,
Eric Jackson

1 comment:

A Wiser Man Than I said...

Double standards are the mantra of sloppy thinkers, many of whom are on the left as demonstrated by Arianna Huffington and company.