Monday, March 05, 2007

A Timely Reminder From Edwards

The Senator who ought be not-so hopeful has some words for whomever is listening:

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school...

"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs," Edwards told the site. "I think he would be appalled, actually."

Amen to that. But you reckon Jesus would have kind words to say about abortion?

The reason I don't vote is that I'm a far-out libertarian type, though I do stray on a few of the issues--please don't tell. But even those Christians more moderate than I should have trouble swallowing the bundle of goods offered by either party. Abortion is an intolerable evil, and no Christian should even think about supporting a pro-choice candidate; but this does not mean the Republicans are to be trusted either. I recall a certain Galilean who said, "Give to everyone to asks, and when someone takes what belongs from you, do not demand it back."

Words well worth pondering. Poverty is not as pernicious as leftists wish us to believe it is. And yes, it is strikingly easy for me to utter as much from my bourgeoisie little dwelling. But the fact does not change. Of utmost importance to the Christian should be the condition of his own, and his neighbor's souls. Screwtape realized as much.

Still, James reminds us that faith without works is dead. Caring for widows and orphans is the duty of any sincere Christian. Whether or not this is the duty of the State is another topic for another day.

No comments: