Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hypothetical prolific bloggers

I am a terribly lazy blogger. It is not that I have nothing that I would like to say so much as that it is both easier and more enjoyable to sit on my couch and read history books than to sit down at my computer and explain, yet again, why we are doomed, doomed, doomed.

Recently, I have been reading Paul Johnson's A History of the Jews. Johnson is exceedingly well read, and brings his wealth of knowledge to which ever topic he chooses to tackle. If I could overcome my sloth for a few years, I think I could eventually write a book, but to churn out books at the rate Johnson does--and such books--is hard for me to fathom. I have long been fascinated by prolific writers. Johnson is by no means the most prolific of writers, but his powers certainly tax my ability to comprehend.

Had Johnson been born a bit later, he may have ended up as a blogger--and no doubt a very good one. Two questions spring to mind. First, given the full extent of writers, who would have been the most prolific blogger? I don't have an answer, but St. Augustine springs readily to mind; he would have lorded over the heretics of the blogosphere. Second, would this have been a good thing for humanity? I spend a good deal of time on blogs, but I am also rather fond of books; and the latter tend to be more valuable.

And now, back to my books--and my laziness.

No comments: